Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm Lovin' My New Kindle!

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation
I needed to get yet another programming book and have been thinking for years that I should use an ebook reader for these huge, heavy books. I used to have a Rocket ebook and liked it until the company went under. I decided after that to wait awhile before investing in another ebook reader!

It's been years and the
latest generation 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" display Kindle was looking pretty sweet so I thought I would give it a try.

So far, I am very impressed. The text truly is easy to read (incredibly better than the Rocket)! I adjusted to it very quickly and at this point find little difference between reading a book on it and an actual book. I have the Kindle ebook reader on my Droid Incredible and love being able to use the touch screen. Too bad the Kindle doesn't have this capability yet. But for the price this is a great ebook reader. You can have 3500 books on it and it weighs about as much as a small paperback novel. The display reads like paper and you can change the font size and the orientation. You can look up any word with the dictionary.

It also has a browser that lets you read your favorite news or blogs online with no 3G charge. Also, I downloaded lots of free classics! And the Kindle book format is generally considerably cheaper. I love it.

I'm already well into the book I need to read for my job, Pro JPA 2: Mastering the Java™ Persistence API (Expert's Voice in Java Technology).  So far, so good! It is really amazing how far things have come on the Java persistence front (my nerdiness is showing)!

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)
If you get a Kindle, you must get the cover. It is really great and makes the Kindle very portable. It has this cool build in light that gets its power directly from the Kindle.  What a great design!  Very impressed over all!

I also got Beyond Mindfulness. It was on my wish list for awhile now.  Looking forward to reading this!


  I had been thinking about getting the 9 inch version but it is considerably more expensive and I was afraid it would be too big to carry around.

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally – Latest Generation
The new 9 inch Kindle DX
I definitely feel I made the right choice. I've been taking my 6 inch Kindle everywhere with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment