My wife, Olya, and I have finally decided to move back to California. A UHaul moving van brough up yesterday from Indy is sitting in the street. I can see our 2003 Prius on a transport trailer in back through the frosty windows of the house we've been renting on Emerson Street since we sold our home in Fort Wayne. We'll be loading up this morning and tomorrow, I'll be once again driving the 2,000 plus miles out to Sacramento. I drove our 2005 Prius out there a couple weeks ago via Oklahoma City and Flagstaff. Olya and I decided to leave it there until we could decide what to do. I flew back for New Years. Now, I'm thinking about taking 80 through Salt Lake City if the forecast looks favorable, saving about 500 miles.
The past couple days, we've finally had a chance to sit together, talk and reflect on what is really important to both of us. As the song goes, I think I "left my heart in San Francisco" or there about. Olya fell in love with San Francisco a few years ago when we flew out for a JavaOne conference. She hasn't been satisfied with Fort Wayne (or Warsaw, Indiana at the time) since.
Since I moved to Indiana, I completely lost my inspiration for photography and enthusiasm for outdoor recreation. I have often missed my weekend forays into areas of California that were new to me and those that were like old friends. When I was in California last week, I once again felt that warm flow of appreciation that stirred me to grab my camera equipment and head out on Saturday morning to photograph the Marin headlands, or just walk along the headland trails watching the wisps of fog course through the laurel trees like fingers through hair. That land makes me feel awake, alive, in awe of this world!
Soon, I hope to be heading up to the Ridge Tahoe timeshare again to ski on the Nevada side or grabbing my camera and heading out for a spirit-nourishing hike most anywhere! Like James Taylor said about Carolina, "In my mind, I've gone to California!" We might as well physically be there as well.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
2008 was quite the year of changes and new challenges for my family!
- Olya started work at a local bank and was promoted to an assistant manager position.
- My mother recovered from two bouts of pneumonia last winter and is much better!
- Clare finished up her senior year at Sacred Heart in San Francisco and started school as San Jose State.
- Gavriil started pre-school full time at a private day care and recently started attending a local parochial pre-school.
- My brother-in-law is recovering from surgery for prostrate cancer and is doing well.
- And after being promoted to Manager of Web Development in November of 2007, I spent the year leading the redesign of a hospital system intranet and the implementation of Microsoft SharePoint. Since November, I've been looking for a new challenge and it looks like I may have a great new opportunity to begin the new year!
Much to be thankful for! Wishing all my friends and relatives the best for 2009!